A recent leaked e-mail exchange from November 2011, Fred Burton, Stratfor’s Vice President for Intelligence and Stratfor source who was an “FBI senior official” has revealed that the NYPD has been involved in “felonious” acts of subterfuge on an epic scale.
I keep .telling you, you and I are going to laugh and raise a beer one day, when everything Intel (NYPD Intelligence) has been involved in during the last 10 years comes out – it always eventually comes out. They are going to make Hoover, COINTEL, Red Squads, etc look like rank amatures compared to some of the damn right felonious activity, and violations of U.S. citizen’s rights they have been engaged in. As Rush Limbaugh likes to say, “don’t doubt me on this.”
Wikipedia gives a synopsis on the aims and methods of “Red Squads” and “COINTEL”
Red Squads: Police intelligence units that specialized in infiltrating, conducting counter-measures and gathering intelligence on political and social groups during the 20th century.
COINTELPRO – Intended effects
The intended effect of the FBI’s COINTELPRO was to “expose, disrupt, misdirect, or otherwise neutralize” groups that the FBI believed were “subversive” by instructing FBI field operatives to:
- create a negative public image for target groups (e.g. by surveiling activists, and then releasing negative personal information to the public)
- break down internal organization
- create dissension between groups
- restrict access to public resources
- restrict the ability to organize protests
- restrict the ability of individuals to participate in group activities
COINTELPRO – Methods
According to attorney Brian Glick in his book War at Home, the FBI used four main methods during COINTELPRO:
- Infiltration: Agents and informers did not merely spy on political activists. Their main purpose was to discredit and disrupt. Their very presence served to undermine trust and scare off potential supporters. The FBI and police exploited this fear to smear genuine activists as agents.
- Psychological warfare: The FBI and police used myriad “dirty tricks” to undermine progressive movements. They planted false media stories and published bogus leaflets and other publications in the name of targeted groups. They forged correspondence, sent anonymous letters, and made anonymous telephone calls. They spread misinformation about meetings and events, set up pseudo movement groups run by government agents, and manipulated or strong-armed parents, employers, landlords, school officials and others to cause trouble for activists.
- Legal harassment: The FBI and police abused the legal system to harass dissidents and make them appear to be criminals. Officers of the law gave perjured testimony and presented fabricated evidence as a pretext for false arrests and wrongful imprisonment. They discriminatorily enforced tax laws and other government regulations and used conspicuous surveillance, “investigative” interviews, and grand jury subpoenas in an effort to intimidate activists and silence their supporters.
- Illegal force: The FBI conspired with local police departments to threaten dissidents; to conduct illegal break-ins in order to search dissident homes; and to commit vandalism, assaults, beatings and assassinations. The object was to frighten, or eliminate, dissidents and disrupt their movements
A prime candidate for such a “pseudo movement groups run by government agents” in NYPD jurisdiction must surely be Youssef al-Khattab’s (Joseph Cohen’s) Revolution Muslim. Cohen/al-Khattab, a former Orthodox Jew, and friends – themselves Muslim converts – could always be relied upon to make Muslims look as dangerous as possible at opportune moments. Despite having no mandate to speak for Muslims or any grassroots support whatsover Revolution Muslim were mysteriously given a platform to vent their views to a national audience on numerous occasions through the mainstream news channels.
Revolution Muslim members had been banned from their local Mosques and Muslim groups were skeptical of the group from the beginning.
The vast majority of Muslim Americans despise Revolution Muslim and their hate-filled ideology. The New York mosque the group frequented banned them from setting foot inside the premises, forcing them to preach on the street corner. Many Muslim Americans question whether Revolution Muslim are real Muslims, and instead hold them to be agent provocateurs who wish to smear Islam. Ibrahim Hooper, spokesman for the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), said Revolution Muslim is “an extreme fringe group that has absolutely no credibility within the Muslim community” and that the “wild and irresponsible things” they say has led to “a strong suspicion [in the Muslim American community] that they’re merely a setup to make Muslims and Islam look bad. ”
Cohen/al-Khattab is currently living freely in Morocco as a resturanteur. He claims to have financed the purchase of his restaurant by driving pedicabs in NYC, a job with an average yearly salary of $32600.